Register Catharsis Guidance fails

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM
I followed the instructions on the site where it mentions
"Catharsis.Guidance solution, Open it, click on a project Guidance, select register."

After doing this I see the following error:

(*) Error: 0 : Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe Register. Error was: Action Register failed to execute:

Failed to process package. See the Guidance Package Development output window for more information about the error..

You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.Configuration.Install.InstallException: Failed to process package. See the Guidance Package Development output window for more information about the error.

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.MetaGuidancePackage.Registration.PackageRegistationAction.ThrowFailure(DTE vs, String currentOperation, String output)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.MetaGuidancePackage.Registration.PackageRegistationAction.Execute()

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(IAssetReference reference)

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeReference.OnExecute()

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.AssetReference.Execute()

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeMenuCommand.OnExec()

at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.AssetMenuCommand.Invoke()

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2008 at 5:24 AM
Hi ivansager
Well, as you can see, Guidance are not from this world - the exception is saying nothing (many nights I spent on it)
But sorry, I have to say that you did not follow my instructions.
You've played with Guidance and changed something (what? I really do not know :)
But do not blame it on Catharsis!
I cannot say what did you made wrong but if you will:
1) Uninstall GAT support for VS 2008! and GAT
2) install GAE
3) install GAT
4) open release 0.8.8 solution
5) click register
6) you will succeed without error  (as many others did :)

MS Guidance debuging is develeper's nightmare. Horror. You have to test it, try, play ...
And the Exception message that you provided - nothing saying ...

I wish you to get quickly over it
Enjoy Catharsis

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Easy Tiger...!! The issue was a registry permission on HCROOT\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.Templates.VszWizard it works now