Project Setup for multiple Applications

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Dear Radim,

I have three applications that share one common database plus a application depend database. They are all maintained by a different programmer. Occasional the database will change because new entities get introduced. In this case every programmer needs to adjust his project. I think it would be nice to share code for this common stuff between the applications. That would affect Entities with all their files including Views and Webcontrols.

Have you had this problem before and how did you solve it?

Kind regards

Benno

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM

Hi Benno.

Nice and also from my experience - usual state, usual decision.

If I'll be the decision maker (instead of the 'only developer') I would always prefer solution with one implementation. Another words - create solution with all entities CRUD stuff, then deploy it 3 times with different 'Menu.config' (hiding or displaying what is relevant and what is not)

But because we very often met decision makers from the business side, usual solution is more rigid: 1) create the first one 2) make a branch 3) changes to both implementation? do it twice (or play with merging tools in TFS :)

So, I prefer one implementation, but the reality (until now) never allows that.

The Catharsis framework is more business-domain oriented, then based on modul-puzzling. So if you in one solution create complete layers (data, busines, UI) for one entity - it is hard to move it to another one.

Not as great answer as it could be, I know ... :)

Enjoy decisions with business guys ...

Radim Köhler

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Hi Radim,

I hoped for a different answer but did not really expect it. I see the problems involved with sharing the code. Yes, I thought about just implementing everything in one solution and deploy it multiple times. I hat second thoughts because of naming the application but since I can use the localization infrastructure of the Catharsis framework I would be able to set the names in the DB correctly.

So, that's probably what I'm going to do since I can decide by myself how I tackle the problem.

Kind regards

Benno