Empty Page

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:28 PM
I having problem running the sample application. I had configure all and run the test project all fine. But when I run the sample application, it always return blank page.
Any suggestion..?

Thanks

ucin

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM
Hi, Ucin

It sounds strange (but you provide too few information)

From my experience:
1) Select not only Web project as startup, but also select DEFAULT.aspx as startup page!
2) run it in VS 2008 in a built-in IIS (on a port e.ge 5555) if your operating system is windows XP (I had some problems with ASP.NET MVC routing on XP - but built-in IIS in visual studio works well)
3) It looks like if routing is not working correctly, but again to few information... Blank page means, that the application had started correctly, but the target page was not found

Let me know, if it helps, or try to provide more information

Radim

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM
Thank you for quick reply.
I'm using Windows Vista with IIS 7 and Sql Server 2005 Express.
I try using default.aspx and change the redirect code to  "Response.Redirect("~/home");"   the controller work fine, it hit the HomeController.

I debug the application and end up in the ControllerBase.cs line 108, Firm.Product.Controllers project.

-  requestContext.HttpContext.Session[ GetType( ).FullName ] = Model.Store( );
-  requestContext.HttpContext.Session[ Str.SessionDataKeys.ErrorData ] = Model.ErrorData; // <- value is 0

Nothing were error, but the application stop in there?

Thanks

Ucin
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM
Hi, Ucin
I am not able to reproduce your 'white-page' conditions (everything works in all of my environments)

So quick resume:
-If you have changed Response.Redirect("~/home"); then you also have to change global.asax routing settings (but I suggest to keep using the suffix .mvc, which can help you to avoid handling not intedend pages)
- If you are using your Vista IIS (instead of VS 2008 built in) you should play with correct IIS settings. The authentication must be enabled for Windows authentication. You have to be the admin of the server (your PC) to have administrator rights for Catharsis.
- Your localhost must be in IE put in localhost servers (Tools/Internet options/security tab/local intranet/ ) and you have to allow send your identity
- And maybe some more settings which I cannot remember now (I have played a lot, 'cause I had problems too, but I do not remember everything)
- Try to switch to built-in IIS in VS.

The code you have mentioned above is working well -> at the first run the Model.ErroData really should be empty (count ==0)

At that moment I have to say, It is working on Vista and XP if using VS IIS, On Vista it works on Built-in IIS 7.0 even with virtual directory (localhost/Catharsis), on XP it works on IIS 6.0 only on root level (localhost)

Sorry, but I do not have any other suggestions :(
Please, let me know about your future experiments and results...

Radim
Sep 14, 2008 at 9:42 PM
Oh.. is my false, I don't have Windows Authentication installed on my IIS. All running well now.
I just wonder if you already use this framework on production environment and why don't use form authentication..?

Thanks
ucin
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2008 at 4:28 AM
Hi Ucin
Nice to see it's working :) It seems like setting development environment on Vista is real alchemy.

To your questions.
ASP.NET MVC is still in an preview and we should wait for first release. But instead of this, Catharsis is ready for deployment.
Authentication is done by AppRoleProvider class which in current version extends WindowsTokenRoleProvider.
For our purposes, it is good enough, because we are creating internal systems with users in domain ...

But we've just mentioned the essence of Catharsis!
Do you need Form authentication?
Well, create only ONE class (YourFormRoleProvider) which will implement all needed abstract members and interface methods ... and change web.config
That's all! You are done! :)

You have changed only one single class and your application now works with internet users, without ANY OTHER CHANGE!

Catharsis is based on OOP as the essence of existence. Inheritance, polymorphisms and encapsulation make it extremely easy to extend or adjust. I will provide more specific docs...

Thanks a lot for your comments
Radim