Catharsis use in Production

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:27 PM
Has anyone used this Framework in production? I would like to try it out but would like to see who has this running on a production system

Ivan S
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2008 at 6:40 AM
I am looking forward for any answer...
Would it be nice if you (developers) will give us feedback from day to day usage.
Of course even issues are welcome.

ASP.NET MVC is still in preview 5. But couldn't be the same applied to any release which was followed with service pack....? Catharsis will adjust to any future release until final will come...

Good luck
Enjoy your job and Catharsis
Radim Köhler

PS: We also will use Catharsis! Applications (in-house systems, less then 1 mil records in DB)  are in propose and scope ... not finished so I cannot honestly report production experience, first release should be 3Q/20009. That date looks like a good estimation for any others experience...
Ivan, you can wait and still fight with web-forms, or enter into Catharsis right now ... :)
You are NOT provided with DLL! but with sources for free!!! Are you expecting better offer? :) :) :) :) :)

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:42 AM
Edited Oct 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM
From my own experience:

I was looking for a framework and found Catharsis.
It really looks great, the guidance part is simple owesome, but...

- I downloaded the windows WPF example and... was crap...

Maybe you could think I'm too old or too impatient  or whatever to study all the frameworks you guys are developing but I really think we (architects) don't have too much time for that.

So... I will ask you for the simpliest thing. A decent example/s (or as many as needed). I'm pretty sure you have some in your desk as you develop the framework or as you use it.
An example that show the features in live.

Around WPF some suggestions could be:
- a window (well you already did it)
- with a menu showing maybe the File menu, the language menu, the role menu, one for each of the features (at least the ones you are more proud of)
- with a db with data
- with a listview or whatever you want to show the content of the table and to save data back to the table
- with that nice buttons of exception and error handling you also already did
- and the most important: those aspects you think are the harder for the developer to infere.

Also, would be nice if you tell us about versioning. You know, we dont like broken projects at all. If I implement 0.9 today, will the proyect be upgradable to the final realease in Q3/2009.

If you really think "Competition is as important as Cooperation." my humble advise is that you will have to improve the marketing, at least in the WPF part.

My two cents
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2008 at 11:02 AM
Hi Jurmerian
We are the web developers.
Suddenly (as usual) customer asked us, if we could provide also windows application based on WPF.

First step we made was proof of concept: could be everything what is very-well working in web development moved to windows?
And that is what our WPF example shows and says: yes everything could work very similar.

There was no time to provide same nice features as are in web solution. And finally the windows development was found so difficult to distribute...

I will provide one example about MVC and WPF on codeproject.com. But it will probably be the last thing with WPF for that moment.
Anyhow - as the starting point is current Catharsis WPF support at least working without any but...

Everything you need to handle entities you must do yourself -> you can still use the Catharsis architecture (observe web example)
Any how (I am glad that I can say it) Web is the future :)

Enjoy Catharsis
Radim